We’re now in the coldest time of year for the Midwest, which also means it’s the biggest heating season of the year. If you have an issue arise with your furnace, it’s important that you get the problem resolved as soon as possible. Not only is your comfort on the line, but also your home and your safety—a non-functioning furnace during the wintertime can quickly become dangerous for people and property alike.
With this in mind, here’s a look at how to know if your heater needs servicing in Kalamazoo, MI:
- You’re not getting enough heat: Obviously, your furnace isn’t doing you a whole lot of good if it’s not providing adequate heat for your home. If you’re only getting a very low level of heat (or no heat at all) regardless of the settings you put into your thermostat, it’s important to have a professional come out, analyze your system and diagnose the problem. There could be an issue with your thermostat, or you might have leaks in your ductwork that make it difficult for you to reliably heat your whole home.
- The unit doesn’t reliably start up: The older a furnace gets, the more likely it is that you’ll have problems getting it started and/or keeping it running. If the unit shuts itself down on a regular basis or requires you to try starting it up multiple times, you need to have someone come and take a look at the system and potentially consider replacing it.
- You notice strange smells coming through the vents: It’s not unusual for you to smell fuel, or a faint burning smell, especially the first time you turn on the heat for the year. However, if you regularly notice strong fuel smells around the unit, or strange smells coming through the vents, this could be indicative of a problem within the system that requires professional attention.
- Odd color in pilot light: You should check the color of your pilot light if you start to notice unusual operational issues with your furnace. A blue color indicates a healthy pilot light, but if yours has a different color, such as yellow, it could mean you have a problem with ventilation. This could mean some harmful gases aren’t dissipating as they would in a healthy system, so it is important that you have a professional address this issue immediately for your safety.
- Strange noises: All furnaces will run with a hum and some noises here and there, but if you start to hear strange sounds you’ve never heard from your system before, it’s time to call in a professional. Squealing or whistling could be a result of fan or belt issues, while loud clangs or bangs could be indicative of loose or broken components inside the system.
These are just a few of the most common signs that you need to call in a professional technician to perform heater repair in Kalamazoo, MI. Contact All Brands Heating & Cooling today to learn more about our services.
Categorised in: Heating Repair
This post was written by Writer