Any time you think there’s something wrong with your air conditioner, there’s likely to be a moment in which a feeling of dread that sets in. But before you call for air conditioning service in Kalamazoo, MI, there are a number of steps you can take to make sure that service is actually necessary.
Performing the below steps can help you to save time and money and ensure that you stay cool during the hot summer days:
- Check power: It might seem obvious, but you cannot get air conditioning to work if the power is out at your home. Calls from people without power asking why their air conditioning isn’t working are more common than you might think.
- Check the filter: An extremely dirty air filter could majorly restrict airflow throughout your home. Pull out the filter, and if it is dirty, replace it with a clean one. This might not only solve your problem, but also improve the quality of air you get flowing throughout your home.
- Check the thermostat: The problem might be as simple as the batteries in the thermostat running out of juice. Before deciding that the thermostat is broken, try changing the batteries and see if that solves your problem.
- Check the switches: There is a switch on the indoor air conditioning unit in most cases. If this switch is accidentally turned off, then you obviously will not get any cool air coming through your system. The same goes for the exterior unit. There should be an on/off switch located on or next to the outdoor equipment. Make sure the unit is both plugged in and turned on. Be careful when handling any electrical equipment, as the unit conducts a lot of electricity.
- Check the circuit breaker: Locate the circuit breaker to see if it has been tripped. Reset the breaker if it has. If the circuit breaker trips again later on, you may need to contact an electrician. The problem is likely not the unit or the breaker itself, but some issue with the wiring. An air conditioning repair person cannot assist you with general electrical problems.
- Check the condensation pump: Many units have a water safety switch that prevents the unit from operating if water could possibly leak into the home. This is designed to add an extra layer of protection against water damage to floors and ceilings. Check to see if any water has collected in the pan under the unit. If so, the drain could potentially be clogged. All you need to do in this situation is empty the pan and then flush the drain line. If that was your main problem, the unit will then begin working again.
With summer just around the corner, it’s time to perform all of these simple checks to ensure your unit is working as smoothly as possible. For more information about air conditioning service in Kalamazoo, MI, contact the experienced team at All Brands Heating and Cooling today.
Categorised in: Air Conditioner Service
This post was written by admin