How to Keep Your Furnace Working in the Extreme ColdJanuary 11, 2018 11:15 pm Leave your thoughts
With the cold winter temperatures here to stay for a while, making sure that your furnace is able to keep up with the increased demand to heat your house all season is a priority. Here are a few tips from a provider of furnace repair in Kalamazoo, MI that you can use to make sure that you are getting the most out of your furnace on extremely cold days when the weather outside becomes unbearable:
- Avoid setting back your thermostat: In an effort to save energy, many homeowners will set back their thermostat for the times during the day when they aren’t at home. However, this practice isn’t recommended during extremely cold weather. It is difficult for your furnace to keep up when the temperatures drop below freezing, and constantly fidgeting with the thermostat might make it that much more difficult to warm your house back up.
- Turning the thermostat to the highest possible temperature won’t help: It seems logical that cranking your thermostat to the highest possible temperature would heat your home quickly when the temperatures drop below freezing. In actuality, though, when the temperatures are extremely cold and your furnace is already struggling to maintain the current set temperature, turning the thermostat to the highest temperature won’t improve your furnace’s ability to keep up. Even when you adjust the thermostat under normal conditions, it is the length of time that the heated air blows that changes, and not the actual temperature that comes out of your furnace.
- Maintain the humidity levels in your home: Although added humidity might not raise the actual temperature in your home when the weather has turned frigid outside, it can make your home feel warmer, and subsequently much more comfortable. If you don’t have a humidifier, try simmering a large pot of water on the stove to add humidity to the air. Just make sure that condensation doesn’t start to form on your windows.
- Space heaters: When used safely, space heaters can be an effective tool in helping create sufficient warmth in your house. If you are picking up a new space heater, be sure to look for one that has an automatic shutoff function for added safety.
- Furnace maintenance: The average heating system is typically most effective when the outside temperature is at least 5 degrees or above so, even if your furnace is in top shape, it might have a hard time handling particularly cold weather. Making sure that you are having your furnace serviced with routine maintenance and tune-ups will help you get the most out of your furnace and give your system a fighting chance to hold off the treacherously cold weather.
If you are in need of a provider of furnace repair in Kalamazoo, MI to help keep your home as warm as possible even when the temperatures drop below freezing, contact us at All Brands Heating and Cooling. We can make sure your furnace has all of the maintenance it needs to keep you and your family comfortable all season, no matter how cold it gets outside. Give us a call today to schedule an appointment.
Categorised in: Furnace Repair
This post was written by Writer